Sustainable development - St Yves at Roseworthy
Roseworthy is a small farming town just 4km north of the Sturt Highway on the edge of Gawler, at the fringe of metropolitan Adelaide. At the 2011 census it had a population of 1216.
Founded in 1863, Roseworthy is an agricultural hub. It hosts a significant Viterra strategic grain storage site and is home to the University of Adelaide’s Roseworthy Agricultural College, founded in 1883. Roseworthy Agricultural College is famous for being Australia’s first winemaking school and the first agricultural college. It trained many of Australia’s top winemakers. More recently it has become one of the leading veterinary schools in Australia.
Located within the Light Regional Council, the town of Roseworthy is about to enter an exciting growth phase.
Land Vision Group (LVG) owns 68 hectares of land south of Roseworthy. On 10 November 2016, following extensive community, public and political consultation the South Australian Planning Minister Hon John Rau MP, gazetted the Roseworthy Township Expansion Development Plan Amendment, pursuant to Section 25 (17) of the Development Act (1993).
This approval paves the way for the current Roseworthy township to become a regional centre, with a future population estimated at more than 10,000. It will become the largest country town in the near Adelaide north. Larger than the nearby Barossa townships of Nuriootpa and Tanunda. The new township centre, including a substantial Coles supermarket, school, aged care and other retail shopping, will be established on LVG land.
LVG is committed to sustainable Roseworthy community development as it seeks to balance environmental, economic and community values in realising this important growth opportunity.